Mitchell L. Marinello
- Class Action Defense
- Contract Disputes
- Employment Disputes
- Financial Services Litigation
- Insurance Litigation
- Internet Defamation
- Partnership Disputes
- Professional Liability Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
Mitchell L. Marinello is an experienced trial attorney who represents individuals, partnerships and corporations in sophisticated business and property disputes. Mitch also is frequently called on to investigate and evaluate potential claims and defenses before litigation has been filed.
Mitch’s clients have included real estate developers, entrepreneurs, retail chains, manufacturers, chemical and energy companies, law firms, accounting firms, medical organizations, physicians, business executives, not-for-profit organizations and federal and state governmental bodies.
Mitch has extensive experience in alternative methods of dispute resolution and serves as a commercial arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association and the International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution. He also serves as a mediator.
For ten years, Mitch served as the Managing Partner of Novack and Macey and the Editor of Litigation Review, a legal periodical published by the firm. He is the firm’s representative to the Integrated Advisory Group International, an international association of attorneys and accountants.
Mitch is a Director of the Chicago Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, a member of the Civil Practice Committee (past Chair) of the Chicago Bar Association, and a member of the Litigation Section of the American Bar Association where he serves as the editor of its Alternative Dispute Resolution website.
Mitch has been selected by his peers as an Illinois Super Lawyer in each of the past nine years. He has been awarded Martindale-Hubbell’s AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating, its highest rating for ethical standards and legal ability. Mitch also has been chosen by his peers as a Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation each year between 2004 and 2013.
Mitch recently was elected to be a Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators (CCA), a national organization of distinguished commercial arbitrators. Mitch also was appointed to the Illinois Chapter of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, an association of selected attorney mediators and arbitrators.
The Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) often looks to Mitch for his expertise in civil practice. In 2012, he was recognized for his exceptional volunteer service as an author of IICLE’s civil practice materials. In 2013, he helped organize and present a webinar series for IICLE on “Practicing in the Federal Courts,” featuring lecturers from Novack and Macey as well as other law firms.
- Wesleyan University (B.A. 1976), with Honors, Magna Cum Laude
- The Thomas J. Watson Foundation (Fellow, 1976-1977)
- New York University Law School (J.D. 1980), Senior Writing Editor for the Moot Court Board
- New York
- Trial Bar of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Second Circuits
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois, the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the Western District of Michigan
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- “Internet Defamation: The Need to Change Illinois and Federal Law,” CBA Record, Co-Author, February-March 2013. PDF
- “Smart Evidence: Commercial Litigation,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Co-Author, 2012.
- “Illinois Civil Practice: Trying the Case,” Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, “Preserving the Record During Trial” and “Motions at the Close of Evidence,” Co-Author, May, 2012.
- “What to Do When a Party Refuses to Pay Its Share of Arbitration Costs,” Dispute Resolution Magazine of the American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution, Co-Author, Winter 2012
- “Small Business and the Corporate Opportunity Doctrine,” Business Law Today, the Online Resource of the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Business Law Section, Co-Author, August 19, 2011 PDF
- “Protect your reputation: Advice for Victims of Internet defamation,” an interview with Mitchell L. Marinello by Troy Sympson, Smart Business Chicago, March 2011 PDF
- “Nonparty Discovery Under the Federal Arbitration Act,” 98 Ill. B.J. 476 (Sept. 2010) PDF
- “Should Your Firm’s Engagement Letter Contain an Arbitration Clause?” in Conflict Management, a Publication of the Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution of the American Bar Association, Winter/Spring 2010 PDF
- “Venue in Federal Civil Cases,” Chapter 5, Federal Civil Practice, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, March 17, 2010
- “The Collapse of the Auction Rate Securities Market,” October 2009 PDF
- “Obtaining Discovery From Non-Parties Under the Federal Arbitration Act,” Presentation at ABA Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, August, 2009
- “Controlling the Cost of Arbitration in Commercial Cases,” Presentation sponsored by the ADR Committee of the Chicago Bar Association, April, 2009
- “Protecting the Natural Cost Advantages of Arbitration,” American Bar Association In-House Litigator, 2008 PDF
- “Contracts for the Benefit of a Third Person,” Chapter 10, Illinois Law of Contracts, Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education, September 2008
- “Playing Nice: Noncompete Terms in Physician Employment Agreements,”Medical Group Management Association Connexion, February 2005
- “Does A Stranger To A Contract Acquire Any Rights Under It? A Primer on Third-Party Beneficiary Law,” 2005
- “Obtaining TROs and Preliminary Injunctions,” 2004
- Marinello and Shelby: Laws on Internet Defamation Need to Change
- Mitch Marinello Writes About Recent Illinois Supreme Court Decision that Gives Deference to an Arbitration Award
- Mitchell Marinello Named to the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Marinello, Moore Organize and Present Webinar Series on Federal Practice
- 17 Attorneys Selected as 2013 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Mitchell Marinello Elected to Board of Directors of the Federal Bar Association, Chicago Chapter
- IICLE Recognizes Novack and Macey Volunteers as “Exceptional Writers” of Civil-Litigation Materials
- IICLE Publishes 2012 Edition of “SmartEvidence: Commercial Litigation” by Novack and Macey Attorneys Mitch Marinello, Tim Miller and Rebekah Parker
- ABA Publishes Mitchell Marinello’s Update on Mediator Sanctions for Demeanor Violations
- Marinello and Miller Contribute to 2012 “Trying the Case” Handbook
- Fleming, Macey, Mann, Marinello, Miller, Novack, Shonkwiler and Tarkington Are 2012 Illinois Super Lawyers
- Marinello, Ciszewski and Berg Prevail for Client in Appeal of Arbitration Award
- Appellate Court Affirms Trial Court’s Decision on Breach of Limited Partnership Claim
- Marinello Interviewed by Smart Business Chicago on Internet Defamation
- Novack and Macey Wins Dismissal of Claims of Breach of Fiduciary, Contractual and Other Duties– With Prejudice
- Novack and Macey Partners Marinello and Miller Publish Guidelines for Trying Cases in Illinois
- Novack and Macey to host the IAG International Conference October 2-4, 2008
- Copyright Trial Leads to Favorable Settlement
- Trial Court Rules In Favor Of Warehouse Owner
- Is Liability Lurking in Your Safety Rules?